Friday, July 11, 2014

iSpy Quilts {2 Finished Quilts}

My mom asked me to make some iSpy quilts for coworkers who are expecting babies or grand-babies. I made these gender neutral and full of fun things to find. 


Each 9 patch is made up of 3" squares (finished size) of different novelty fabrics. I sashed the blocks in one of the fabrics I got from Korea, a white on yellow dot which was just the perfect complement to these busy prints.
Just a sample of the iSpy fabrics: spaceship, car, whales, atoms, underground creatures, green eggs and ham, pear, Paris map, sharks. There is also a block with DNA so the kids can get to learning science early!

 I couldn't decide how to quilt them so I did a spiral on one:

And a stipple on the other:

I chose a safari print for the back of one and a numbers print in black and white for the other.



I'm really happy with how they turned out. I'll take them with me for my trip to Baltimore tomorrow. I am FINALLY going to the beach with my family for the first time in almost 10 years I can go!!
See... equations front and center for the learning of the maths.

Incidentally, would anyone be interested in a traveling iSpy fabric box? The iSpy fabrics are really fun but you usually don't want to buy a fat quarter of all these different and potentially weird fabrics that don't necessarily play nice with others. My idea is that the box could be sent around to different quilter/bloggers who are interested in making an iSpy quilt. They could fussy cut what they want from the box, add another fat quarter or two to replenish the stock, blog about it and then ship it off to the next person in the queue. Let me know in the comments if you are interested.

2 comments:

  1. I love these iSpy quilts because I see fabrics that we had fun with. Teapots, monsters, birds, seuss....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Put me down as interested in a traveling iSpy fabric box. I have several fabrics to contribute. (And I live in Oregon, if locality makes a difference.)

    ReplyDelete